ATM Safety - ATM/Debit Card Security
Safety tips when visiting an ATM
- Observe your surroundings before using an ATM. If the machine is obstructed from view or poorly lit, visit another ATM.
- Shield the screen and keyboard so anyone waiting to use the ATM cannot see you enter your PIN or transaction amount.
- Put your cash, card and receipt away immediately. Count your money later, and always keep your receipt.
- If you see anyone or anything suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave immediately. If anyone follows you after making a transaction, go to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- When using an enclosed ATM that requires your card to open the door, avoid letting strangers follow you inside.
- When using a drive-up ATM, make sure all passenger car doors are locked and windows are up.
- Do not leave your car unlocked or engine running when you get out to use an ATM.
Tips to protect your ATM/Debit Card
- Keep your card in a safe place to avoid damage or theft.
- Memorize your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Never write the PIN down on anything in your wallet or on the card.
- When selecting a PIN, avoid numbers and letters that relate to your personal information. For example, don't use your initials, birthday, telephone or Social Security number. If you have such a number, call (215) 947-1300 to get a new PIN issued. You can also call (800) 992-3808 to change your PIN.
- To help guard against fraud, keep your ATM/Debit Card receipts until you check them against your monthly statement.
- CardValet is a service HVB offers to help protect your ATM/Debit Card. Using CardValet, you can set limits on your card based on location, merchant type, and dollar amount. You can turn your card “on” and “off” if it is lost or stolen to prevent fraudulent activity. CardValet can also send you alerts each time your debit card is used, approved, or exceeds the controls that you set.
What you should do if your card is lost/stolen or you see unauthorized transactions on your account
- Immediately report a lost or stolen card to HVB by calling (215) 947-1300 during business hours or (800) 554-8969 after hours to disable your card.
- Call (215) 947-1300 or visit your local branch to report any unauthorized transactions on your account.